1. By the time she arrives, we _______ our homework.
B. will have finished
C. will finish
D. were finished
2. He made his children _______ their homework every afternoon.
B. to do
D. to study
3. The sun _______ at 9 last night.
D. was setting
4. Prime minister have full authority _______ his ministers.
5. I’ll _______ their cat while they are away on holiday.
A. be looking into
B. be looking at
C. be looking after
D. be looking over
6. Book is lying _______ the table
7. We _______ tennis every day when we were young.
A. use to play
B. would play
C. were playing
D. were used to play
8. She _______ lunch by the time we arrived.
A. had finished
C. have finished
9. Blinded by __, Nicholas accepted the job offer with the highest pay but the least possibility of making him happy.
10. Despite _______ hard, he failed the exam.
A. he studied
B. he has studied
11. When I stopped _______ to Mary, she was picking some flowers in her garden.
C. to speak
12. Which of phrases given below each sentence should replace the phrase printed in bold type to make the grammatically correct? If the sentence is correct as it is, mark ‘E’ as the answer.
“The easiest of the thing to do is to ask the address to the postman.”
A. of the things to do
B. among the things did
C. of the thing to be done
D. of all the things done
E. No correction required
13. Which of the following most closely resembles the reasoning given in this argument?
Every successful mechanic uses cast-iron wrenches.
Some mechanics use wrenches made of something besides cast iron. So some mechanics are not successful.
A.All valid syllogisms are incapable of surprising you. Some syllogisms are not at all able to surprise you. So some syllogisms are not valid.
B.Everything worth doing is worth doing right. Everything boring is not worth doing right. So boring things are not worth doing.
C.Every good bicycle has hand brakes. Some messengers’ bikes are not good bicycles. So some messengers’ bikes don’t have hand brakes.
D.A tape recorder is a sophisticated piece of equipment. Some home appliances are unsophisticated pieces of equipment. Therefore, some home appliances are not tape recorders
14. Choose the right phrase: –
To end in smoke
A. To make completely understand
B. To ruin oneself
C. To excite great applause
D. None of these
Read the comprehension and answer the questions that follow:
Soft bodied animals like caterpillars often fall a prey to voracious hunters like birds or reptiles. Despite having no means to ‘actively’ defend themselves, with weapons like claws or jaws, they have nevertheless, evolved other equally effective deterrents. A particular species of the caterpillar lives at an altitude over 2.500 metres in the Himalayas. It uses prominent color to inform would be predators of its in edibility. In the event that an inexperienced or adventurous bird did eat the caterpillar, it would probably vomit it soon after, and subsequently desist from attacking similar species in future. Though this would do the unfortunate victim no good, the species benefits. A rare example of the martyr among animals.
15. The expression “others equally effective deterrents” mean
A.preventive weapons which have equal effect of others
B.mechanism which scares everyone equally well
C.preventive equipment which it is as effective as something that has been already mentioned in the passage
D.deterrents that are as powerful as those the caterpillars have
16. Caterpillars cannot defend themselves because
A.are passive animals
C.cannot acquire weapons
D.have no claws or jaws
17. The Himalayan caterpillar uses prominent colours to
A.warn the predator
B.attack the predator
18. Experienced birds do not attack the Himalayan caterpillars because they are